Chestnuts are in season now and nothing screams holidays more than this 5-ingredient creamy and nourishing chestnut puree. This is perfect for the whole family to enjoy, suitable for babies as well (just make sure that you use a non-dairy milk) and the perfect side dish for your holidays dinner! And did I mention that it is oh so easy to make? So let’s get into cooking.
Why I love chestnuts
Well, roasted chestnuts at out fireplace is one of my strongest memories from my childhood. I love the smell or roasted chestnuts and the buttery, earthy flavor that they have. And on top of that, they are a great source of vitamin C. Did you know that? They are also packed with antioxidants and above all they are delicious.
What you will need
- Chestnuts. The star of the show!
- Potatoes. I used white russet potatoes but you can use any type that you like. You can substitute with white sweet potatoes as well for a sweeter outcome.
- Apples. This is my secret ingredient and I find that apples help this puree to be creamy and also slightly sweet, perfect for the holidays.
- Milk and butter. You can use any milk of your choice but I would not substitute with water. If you want to keep this vegan you can use any non dairy milk and butter or olive oil. Please don’t skip this step. Milk and butter is what makes this puree so creamy.
- I use vacuumed boiled chestnuts for two reasons. First, I don’t have access to fresh chestnuts (even now that they are in season) in the area that I live. Also, I find this such a time saver so if you have access to vacuumed chestnuts go ahead and use those.
- You can make this ahead of time and store in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 3 days. The mashed chestnuts will thicken up in the fridge so I would recommend to warm it up with a couple of tablespoons of milk to thin it out.
- I would not recommend freezing the chestnuts puree. The texture will not be the same when you defrost it.
This is the perfect side dish for my slow cooked stuffed pork shoulder. If you haven’t already, check this out!
5-Ingredient creamy and nourishing chestnut puree
1 pound (0.45 kilograms) chestnuts, boiled and peeled
1 pound (0.45 kilograms) potatoes (or white sweet potatoes), peeled
2 apples, peeled
2 tbsp grass-fed butter
1 cup milk of your choice
(Optional) pinch of nutmeg
- Cut the potatoes and apples in big chunks
- In a pot, over medium heat boil the potatoes and apples until fork tender (around 12-15 min)
- In a food processor or blender, blend the potatoes, apples, chestnuts adding slowly the milk
- When they are well incorporated, transfer them back to the pot and over medium heat add the butter
- Stir well and add a couple of tbsp of milk if you need to be thiner