Dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free (if quinoa and oats are)
Are you looking for different ways to incorporate seafood in your kids diet? Then this incredible recipe is for you! Easy to make, using simple ingredients, those aromatic prawn and quinoa balls will become a staple in your house. And did I tell you that they are a great recipe for baby led weaning?
We have talked before about meatballs and how much Panos loves them. My veggie packed meatballs recipe is in our recipe rotation for years and meatballs soup is one of Panos’ favorites. Ask your kids in which shape they want their balls. Maybe they prefer patties or oval shapes over balls. So, this is always an easy way to make sure that they will like the final result.
” In any shape those aromatic prawn and quinoa balls are delicious”
What you will need
- Prawns. I used jumbo wild prawns. You can use any prawns or shrimps that you have on hand. The size of the shrimp does not matter in this recipe as it will be pulsed on the blender.
- Quinoa. You will need to wash and cook the quinoa ahead of time. Usually quinoa expands around 3 times on the cooking process. So for this recipe you will need to boil a little less than 1/2 cup of washed quinoa with a little less than 1 cup of water. Bring it to boil and then simmer on low heat for 12-15 min.
- Rolled oats. You can use either rolled or quick oats for this recipe. However, I would not recommend using steal cut oats. If you choose to use oat flour make sure that you add 3/4 cup and not a full cup as it is usually more absorbent.
- Veggies: carrots and onions
- Parsley, mint and lemon zest. I feel like those three accompany the prawns’ flavor perfectly.
- Pantry staples: oregano, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper
How I served it
Panos asked for his Pippa Penguin bamboo plate* from Bubba Boo for his lunch. So I served those delicious prawn and quinoa balls along with steamed broccoli and cherry tomatoes.
Are you loving Bubba Boo as much as we do? Then head over to their website and use discount code PANOSEATS for 12% discount.
Aromatic prawn and quinoa ballsCourse: Lunch, DinnerDifficulty: Easy
1 lbs (0.45 kilograms) deveined and peeled jumbo prawns
1 small onion (around 4 oz (113.4 grams))
2 small carrots (around 3 oz (85.05 grams))
1 1/4 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup rolled oats
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
1 tbsp mint, finely chopped
1 tsp oregano
zest of 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven at 375F (190.56 degrees Celsius)
- Line a baking sheet tray with parchment paper
- Boil the prawns until fork tender for around 5 min
- In a blender, blend the onion and carrots
- Add the onion-carrot mixture in a mixing bowl
- In the blender, blend the boiled prawns just enough to shredded
- Add the shredded prawns in the same mixing bowl and mix
- Add the aromatics (parsley, mint, oregano, salt and pepper) and olive oil and mix
- In a blended blend the oats for a couple of pulses
- Add the blended oats and cooked quinoa in the mixing bowl and incorporate
- Form small balls in the size of a ping pong ball and place in the sheet tray
- Bake for 30-35 min until golden brown
- Let cool down a little bit before you serve them
* Disclosure: this post may contain affiliate links, which means Panos Eats may receive a commission to help us run this site at no extra cost to you if you purchase something that we have recommended. While clicking these links won’t cost you anything!