Are you looking for an easy but impressive healthy dessert? Then this easy and delicious mixed berries galette is the recipe for you! Do you know what galette is? It is basically a rustic open pie stuffed with fruits and baked to perfection. You can make a galette with apples, peaches, pears etc. Today we are making a mixed berries galette! The perfect way to celebrate valentine’s day!
What you will need and substitutions
You will need a handful of simple ingredients which most probably you already have on hand so lets dive in
- Flour. I used one cup whole wheat and one cup all purpose flour. I have done this easy and delicious mixed berries galette with just whole wheat or just all purpose in the past and it still works. If you choose to use just one type of flour you should make sure to use two cups. Also note that it will be harder to roll the dough if you choose to use just whole wheat. But still it is doable.
- Coconut oil. Make sure that the coconut oil is solid and not melted. If your coconut oil is in liquid form, place it in the fridge for one hour and it should be good to go. If you don’t have coconut oil on hand you can always substitute with a good quality grass-fed butter. If you use butter make sure that it is cold, straight from the fridge.
- Berries of your choice. I used a mix of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. But in the past I have made this with just strawberries and it was still delicious. You can make this with any berries that you like. And also, you can make this with either frozen or fresh berries!
- Honey. You will not need much as the berries are naturally sweet. I just used two tablespoons but if you want to make to make it more sweet you can use up to 4 tablespoons.
- Thickener. I used arrowroot flour but you can use corn starch as well. If you don’t have either of those then you can use chia seeds or crushed flaxseed. All those options will work just fine.
How to serve
Well the galette is great as is. Perfectly sweet and tart on the same time. But you can always serve it with a scoop of strawberry nicecream or frozen yogurt. Today I served with a scoop of coconut cream. You know how much we love coconut in this family.
Do you like healthy desserts?
Then make sure that you check out my:
Easy and delicious mixed berries galetteCourse: PiesDifficulty: Easy
- For the dough
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup coconut oil, not melted (or butter)
1-3 tbsp cold water
- For the filling
20 oz (566.99 grams) mixed berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries), cut in bite size pieces
1 tbsp arrowroot powder (or corn starch)
2-4 tbsp honey
- Preheat your oven at 370F (187.78 degrees Celsius)
- In a blender add the coconut oil and flours and mix to incorporate
- Dump the mixture in a mixing bowl and add cold water one tablespoon at the time until you form a dough
- Flatten the dough with your hands and place in a plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 5 min
- In a pot, add all the ingredients of the filling and simmer over medium to low heat for 8-10 min
- Roll the dough in between two pieces of parchment paper in a circle about 1/8 inch (20.32 centimetres) thickness
- Place the parchment paper in a sheet pan and add the filling in the center leaving two inches around
- Fold the dough inwards to partially cover the filling
- Bake for 30-35 min or until the dough is golden brown