Are you looking for an fast and delicious snack for your little ones? Then those bell pepper and feta savory muffins recipe is for you. They are so easy to make, in fact you will need just a handful of ingredients. And also, those muffins are perfect to include some extra vegetables in your kids diet so I will call this a win! So, let’s get started!
What you will need
- Peppers. You know how much we love to eat the rainbow, right? For this reason I used a combination of red, yellow and orange peppers. My favorite is red pepper as it is usually sweeter than the rest but you can pick what you like.
- Feta cheese. Did you know that feta and peppers are best friends? Oh they are! The flavor combination is great.
- Muffins staples: Milk, eggs, oil. In my baking I always use pasture raised organic whole milk and eggs as the animals get treated better in the pastures. Feel free to substitute with almond milk or any other non-dairy milk that you have on hand.
- Flours: I used a combination of white all purpose and whole wheat flour. If you want you can use just all purpose flour
- From the pantry: Pepper, oregano, baking powder
How to store
When you are done baking, you should let the muffins cool down for 5 min in the muffin tins and then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely before you store them. Once you bell pepper and feta savory muffins are cool you can store then in an air tight container in your fridge for up to 3 days. You can also freeze them in a freezer friendly container/bag for up to 3 months. This way you will have an easy and delicious snack ready with no effort! How cool is that?
Also, those delicious bell pepper and feta savory muffins are perfect for a snack on the go, for your summer hikes or a day in the park and the beach. And of course they are perfect for school lunchboxes!
Can I serve to a baby?
You can absolutely serve those delicious bell pepper and feta savory muffins to a baby since starting at 6 months. However, feta tends to be salty and you should avoid big amounts of sodium for babies. So, you should either substitute the feta cheese with another low sodium cheese such as shredded mozzarella or goat cheese. Or, if you still want to use feta cheese you can remove a big amount of salt by holding the block of feta under running water. Then pat dry with a kitchen paper towel and use it in the recipe.
For more savory muffin ideas
- Spinach and feta muffins, aka “The spanakopita muffins”
- Broccoli and cheddar muffins
- Butternut squash savory muffins
Delicious kid-friendly pepper and feta savory muffins
1 cup bell peppers (any color combination), finely diced
1 cup milk of your choice
2 tbsp olive oil
5 oz (141.75 grams) feta cheese, crumbled
1 cup all purpose flour, 130 gr
3/4 cup whole wheat flour, 100 gr
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp mint, finely sliced
1 tsp dried oregano
pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven at 360 F (182.22 degrees Celsius) and grease your muffin tins
- In a pan, add the olive oil and peppers and cook for 5-7 min or until start to soften
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and milk
- Add the feta, pepper, mint and flours and stir to combine
- Add the peppers and stir to combine
- Pour the mixture in your muffin tins and bake for 22-24 min or until a knife is clear when you insert it in the muffin
- Let it cool for 5 min and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely