If you are looking for a protein packed snack then those cookies are a great option for your little. The main ingredient is chickpeas! Yes chickpeas (or garbanzo beans if you prefer to call them this way)! Those chickpea chocolate chip soft cookies are so easy to make and I’m sure that your kids would love them! And they will never guess that they actually contain chickpea! So let’s get started, gather your ingredients everyone, you are about to bake the most delicious healthy soft cookies!
What you will need
- Chickpeas (or garbanzo beans). The star of the show! I promise that you will never taste them in the cookies. And the chickpeas are actually the secret to this perfect soft cookies. You can substitute with white beans which again don’t have a strong flavor and they are perfect for baking.
- Oat flour. I wanted to keep this gluten-free so I used oat flour. I haven’t test this recipe with any other flour so if you decide to use all purpose flour proceed with caution.
- Honey. This is the sweetener. You can always substitute with maple syrup.
- Coconut oil. I love the flavor combination of coconut and chocolate. Just make sure that you measure when the coconut oil is melted. In case you don’t make coconut oil on hand, you may substitute with avocado oil or even olive oil. I haven’t test it yet but I have a feeling that those should work.
- Flaxseed. I keep this vegan and I’m using a “flaxseed egg”. If you are not familiar with this, you should simply mix 1 tbsp grounded flaxseed with 3 tbsp water and let it aside for 5 min. The mixture will thicken up and it is a perfect substitute for egg.
- Chocolate chips. We dont eat processed sugar in our family so I used 100% dark chocolate chunks. Yes it is bitter but we love it. Of course you can use any chocolate chips that you like, dark of milk chocolate.
DO YOU LIKE BUBBA-BOO AS MUCH AS WE DO?
Panos loves his eco-friendly bamboo plates and if you like our them as much as we do, head over to Bubba Boo* website and use code PANOSEATS to get 12% off *.
How to store
You can either store those easy kids friendly chickpea chocolate chip soft cookies in an air tight container in your counter for up to 3 days. But to be honest I doubt that they survive that long! Or you can even freeze them for up to 3 months in freezer bags. I always have some on my freezer for the days that I need an easy snack.
Looking for more healthy cookies?
If you loved those chickpea chocolate chip soft cookies then you should check out my
Kids friendly chickpea chocolate chip soft cookiesCourse: SnacksDifficulty: Easy
1½ cup chickpeas, boiled and drained
¼ cup honey
1 tbsp flaxseed, grounded
3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup + 2 tbsp oat flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
2 oz (56.7 grams) dark chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven at 360F (182.22 degrees Celsius) and line a baking tray with parchment paper
- In a small bowl mix the flaxseed with 3 tbsp of water and set aside for 5 min
- In your blender, blend the chickpeas, honey, coconut oil and flaxseed mixture until smooth
- Add the oat flour, baking powder and chocolate chips and stir with a spatula to incorporate
- Scoop out the batter with an ice cream scoop and place in the baking tray
- Bake for 18-20 min or until golden brown