Who doesn’t love chicken nuggets? It is an old time classic not just in our family but pretty much in every family that I know. This is a healthier kids-friendly version as those are oven baked and not fried. Crispy on the out side and tender in the inside, those oven baked chicken nuggets will become your favorite! And they are perfect for a week-day family dinner or a big birthday party.
What you will need
- Chicken. I prefer to use chicken thighs when I make chicken nuggets. The meat is more tender than chicken breast and the final result is juicier. If you want to use chicken breast you can. Just be sure that you will cook for 5 less minutes so you don’t over cook it.
- Eggs. Traditionally when you make chicken nuggets, you need a wet mixture and a dry mixture. I used the eggs with a splash of water to thin it out as the wet mixture.
- Dry mixture. I love adding shredded coconut and grated parmegiano reggiano on my dry mix along with the traditional breadcrumbs. The coconut adds to the crunchiness and the cheese melts slightly and binds perfectly the ingredients. You should definitely try this!
What I packed in the lunchbox
As you might have notice, I’m passionate about eco-friendly living. And using eco-friendly lunchboxes is part of it. So, this stainless steel lunchbox * is PVC Free, Phthalate Free, Leaching Free and it is the perfect size for a toddler’s/kid’s lunch. For today’s lunch I packed
- A serving of chicken nuggets
- Greek yogurt to dip, as it pairs perfectly with both the nuggets and the vegetables
- Steamed cauliflower and broccoli with a drizzle of olive oil
- Cherry tomatoes and capers. I little tip for the capers is to wash them with cold water. This way they will be less salty and perfect for the little ones
Of course, you should feel free to serve it with any sides that you prefer, like oven baked potatoes, rice or salad.
Oven baked chicken nuggetsCourse: Dinner, LunchboxesDifficulty: Easy
3 lbs (1.36 kilograms) boneless and skinless chicken thighs (10 thighs)
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated parmegiano reggiano
1 tbsp dried oregano
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven at 400F (204.44 degrees Celsius)
- Cut the chicken thighs in bite size pieces around 1-2 inches (5.08 centimetres) wide
- Pat dry the chicken pieces with a paper towel
- In a mixing bowl crack the eggs with a splash of water and stir
- In another mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients
- Line a sheet tray with parchment paper
- Coat each chicken piece with the egg mixture and then with the dry mixture
- Place the chicken pieces in the sheet tray (you will need two) and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown
* Disclosure: this post may contain affiliate links, which means Panos Eats may receive a commission to help us run this site at no extra cost to you if you purchase something that we have recommended. While clicking these links won’t cost you anything!