This is comforting food at its best, for winter, cozy, rainy days! We all love sausage in our family. And I love cooking with in season veggies! I went to a local farm and stock up on produce and, of course, the star of the show was the cabbage. This vegetable is so versatile, you can do so many different things with it, with different textures. Raw in a salad, cooked in a stew, fermented in sauerkraut. We love all of those! And what a perfect combination with sausage? Right?
How to pick the perfect sausage?
You should be very careful on which sausage you choose for your family. World Health Organization has classified all processed food as potentially carcinogenic. The sausages that I used are fresh handmade sausages containing nothing else other than ground meat, spices and natural casing (be sure it’s natural). No nitrates, no preservatives, no processed oils. Pure happiness on our plate!
Enjoy with no guilt!
Sausage with cabbageCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Easy
1 cabbage around 2.5 lbs (1.13 kilograms)
3 pounds (1.36 kilograms) sausage (mild or spicy is up to you) –
2 lemons, juice of 2 and zest of 1
3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce (optional)
1 tsp ground ginger or ginger powder
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the sausages into bite size pieces
- Add the sausages in a big oven safe pot over medium heat and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Cut the cabbage in bite size pieces
- Add the cabbage in the pot along with the Worcestershire sauce, ginger, lemon zest, olive oil, salt and pepper
- Add half cup of water and stir well
- Cook for 15-20 min over medium heat with lid on and stir frequently
- Optional but recommended: broil in the oven for 5 minutes with lid off for extra color
- When is ready add lemon juice and stir