Are you looking for a quick and easy dinner? This delicious but simple asparagus savory cake is great solution for a busy night which happens to be full of my favorite spring vegetable, asparagus. I’m sure that even if you don’t like asparagus you will lot this savory cake! If you are looking for another great way to incorporate asparagus in your kid’s and your diet then my aromatic asparagus pesto is also a great solution for delicious easy dinner!
What you will need?
- Asparagus. The star of the show! The flavor of asparagus pairs perfectly with the green onions and when you sauté them they become almost sweet. Its the great main ingredient for this savory cake!
- Eggs. I like to use pasture raised eggs because I feel that the animals get treated better in the pastures. You can use what you have on hand.
- Olive oil. Of course you can substitute with any other oil of your liking, such as coconut oil or avocado oil. I would stay away from high processed oils though.
- Milk. I used almond milk but you can use any milk of your liking.
- Cheese. The saltiness of the cheese accompanies perfectly the flavors of this cake. I used a combination of cheddar and feta cheese but you can use just cheddar or any other mild sharp cheese that you like.
- Flours. A combination of whole wheat and all purpose flour is used on this cake. I haven’t tried with just whole wheat but that might work so if this is what you want to do proceed with your own risk. Also I used baking powder as the lifting agent.
- Herbs and aromatics: oregano, mint and pepper
How to prepare the asparagus
So before we cook the asparagus we need to prepare them. Rinse the asparagus spears under cool water to remove any dirt that they might have. Then simply snap off the bottom 1-2 inches (5.08 centimetres) using your fingers. Usually the stems will naturally break where the tough woody part ends and the tender stem begins. Then place them in your surface area and dice them with a sharp knife. And they are ready to go!
How to store
You can either store this simple and delicious asparagus cake in an air tight container in your fridge for up to 3 days if it survives. Or you can even freeze the pieces for up to 3 months in freezer bags. I like to keep some on my freezer for the difficult weekday snack time or for a quick dinner when I need something easy to serve to the family.
Do you like Bubba-Boo as much as we do?
Panos is in love with his eco-friendly natural bamboo plates and if you like them as much as we do, head over to Bubba Boo website and use code PANOSEATS to get 12% off *.
Do you want more easy dinner recipes?
Delicious crustless asparagus pie
A delicious way to eat more asparagus this spring season! Perfect for your little ones to enjoy and a great quick family dinner
2 batches asparagus, trimmed (265gr) and diced
5 green onions, diced
½ cup milk of your choice
¼ cup olive oil
1 cup cheese (I used 3/4 sharp cheddar and 1/4 feta) shredded or crumbled
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp mint, chopped
1 tsp oregano
- Preheat your oven at 365F (185 degrees Celsius) and line a 13” x 9” baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a pan, sauté the asparagus and green onions until fork tender. This will take around 5 min.
- In a mixing bowl mix all the wet ingredients (eggs, milk, olive oil)
- Stir in the cheese, oregano and mint
- Add the flours and baking powder and stir to just incorporate
- Stir in the asparagus-green onions mixture
- Fill up the baking sheet and bake for 30-35 min or until golden brown